Monday, May 16, 2011

Northward Journey

Most of you all know that I just completed a long journey back to New England from South Carolina.  I've posted a map below of my route for all those non geographically savy people and for those just curious.  All said and done it was a little over 1,000 miles from Anderson, SC to Lebanon, NH.  Last Tuesday I left Anderson, and traveled to my hometown of Lititz, PA.  Spent a day there chillin' before making the rest of the journey on Thursday.  Gotta say hi to the parental units right?  Oh, and anytime you stay in Lititz you have to go to Dosie Dough for coffee and a chocolate long john.


I will probably get in trouble from someone for admitting this, but the photo below was taken while driving north on interstate 81 through Virginia.  There was about a 1 mile stretch of wildflowers in the middle of the interstate and I just couldn't resist.


You never know what you will see along your journeys.  As an avid motorcycle enthusiast I'm always looking for fun and unique motorcycles.  However, this encounter takes the prize for most unique thing I saw along my trip north.  A Russian made Ural Motorcycle being towed by a Toyota Yaris.  I'm not sure which one gets better gas milage, but I'm sure the motorcycle could tow the car in a pinch for sure.


I arrived in Lebanon, NH last Thursday night and a group from Riverbank Church helped me unload everything into temporary storage.  From there we proceeded to swing by the church office and grab some pizza.  Buffalo Chicken at Ramunto's is very good indeed.  After that I settled into my temporary living arrangements in Enfield, NH.  A lady from church graciously offered up a room in her home till I can find a space of my own.

Friday morning the task was to return the rental truck and trailer to the rental place.  Rather than take the car back to Lebanon I choose to take advantage of the amazing weather and ride the scenic route.  I've passed the sign below many times on previous rides throughout New England but never stopped before.


I Road up route 5 in Vermont than crossed over to route 12 and 12A in New Hampshire and continued north to Lebanon.  This bridge is the longest wooden bridge in the United States, and the longest two-span wooden bridge in the world.  That's probably why I had such a hard time getting the whole thing in a "creative" shot.


The rest of Friday was spent stopping in at my new job at the Eastern Mountain Sports in West Lebanon, NH, getting a lay of the land and signing some paperwork.  I'll be working in a store again as a Floor Supervisor and am looking forward to being back with EMS.


Got back Friday afternoon to where I'm staying.  The house is across the street from Mascoma Lake.  There truly is nothing like a New England mountain lake.  I could have sat here all the rest of the day.  Saturday turned out to be rainy and a great day to relax and regroup from a very long trek northward.

Sunday we met for church at the Lebanon Opera House right on the green in Lebanon, NH.  It was a great day.  I super excited to be back in New Hampshire and being a part of what God is doing through Riverbank Church.  I spent the afternoon attending a meeting/training with all the Riverbank volunteers, and getting acquainted with the staff I'll be serving alongside here.  

This week will mostly be spent with retraining at work, meetings with church staff, and starting to look for a place to live.  

No comments: